491 Regional Visa – PR Pathway
The 491 Regional Visa is a skilled work visa which can give you PR through living and working in regional Australia.
It permits enables eligible workers and their families to live, study and work in a regional area for 5 years. But the best thing is that after 3 years on this visa in a regional are you can apply for your Permanent Residence 191 visa
491 Regional Visa Eligibility
To be eligible for the visa, you must be –
- Nominated by a State / Territory government or be sponsored by an eligible relative in a designated regional area
- You must live and work in one of Australia’s regional areas which are Perth, Adelaide, Canberra, Gold Coast and Hobart but not the cities of Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne do not fall in the list.
Points Test for 491 Regional Visa
Points for the 491 visa are based on your age, qualifications, overseas and Australian work experience, English language ability and Australian study. But you also get extra points for:
- 15 points for nomination by a State or Territory government or sponsored by a family member residing in regional Australia.
- 10 Points for Skilled Spouse or De Facto Partner
- 10 Points if the applicant does not have a spouse or de facto partner or the applicant has a spouse or de facto partner who is an Australian permanent resident or an Australian citizen
- 5 points for applicants with a spouse or de facto partner who has competent English and is not permanent resident or Australian citizen
- 10 Points for certain Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) qualifications
Check your point score : Points Calculator
Invitation to Apply
You can only apply for this visa if you are invited to do so. And to get that information you first have to make an Expression of Interest (EOI) via Skillselect.
For Skillselect info: Skillselect Info
There is no fee for making an EOI. When you complete your EOI application it calculates your point score and you know how many points you. You must have a minimum of 65 points. However, the more points you have the better your chance of receiving an invitation. Some people do an English test to get a better result which then gives them more points. For example, an IELTS score of minimum 6 on each module does not give you any points. But if you can score minimum 7 on each module you get an extra 10 points and if you get minimum 8 on each modules then you get an extra 20 points
191 Visa Application
When you receive an invitation to apply, then you are able to lodge a visa application. Then when you have been on the Regional 491 visa in a regional area for at least 3 years you can apply for the permanent Subclass 191 visa. But there is a salary condition attached – you must have been on an annual salary of at least $53,900 for the 3 years to be eligible to apply for the 191 visa.
For information about the 191 visa : 191 Visa
For all visa info: Visa Advice