Skilled Independent 189 Visa

Are you an overseas worker qualified with an occupation in demand in the Australian economy? Do you want  Permanent Residency

Apply for a Skilled Independent visa to Work and become a Permanent Resident of this great country!

Why The Skilled Independent Visa?

The Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) is a point-based visa designed to attract overseas skilled people needed in Australian States and Territories.

It allows skilled workers with this visa to move and live in Australia without needing employer sponsorship or nomination by a state or territory government.

Benefits Of A Skilled Independent Visa

  • Live, study or work in Australia indefinitely
  • Enrol in Medicare
  • Become eligible for Australian citizenship
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residency
  • Depart and re-enter Australia for 5 years from the visa grant date .

Before Applying For The Visa

You need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and score at least 65 points to get an invitation from the Home Affairs department to apply for the visa.

EOI points are awarded on various factors including:

  • Age
  • Education Qualifications
  • Trade / Professional Qualifications
  • Level of English
  • Work Experience
  • Single / Partner Skills

Extra Points for Australian Qualifications

It’s great If you have completed a degree, diploma or trade qualification at an Australian institution because you get an extra five points towards your EOI.

General Eligibility Criteria

  • Age limit is 45 years – you must be less than 45 on the date you apply
  • Your occupation must be on this list   MLTSSL
  • You must have at least Competent English
  • You must have a positive skills assessment
  • You need the score specified in your visa application
  • You have to meet the health and character requirements

Health & Character Requirements

You and any family members are required to:

  • Apply within 12 months of medical examinations
  • Provide police certificates from each country you lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years (after turning 16 years)

Evidence Of English Language Ability

You must have achieved minimum scores in one of the nominated English tests:

– At least 6 in each of four test modules in IELTS

– At least 50 in each of four test modules in PTE   Pearson Test of English
Comparable results in in TOFEL iBT, OET or CAE

Eligible Family Members

You can include following family members in your visa application:

  • Your Partner or spouse
  • Your or your partner’s child/step child

Don’t Worry!

Worried about visa requirements or concerned about the Expression of Interest or Skills Assessment? Don’t worry – we’ve got your back! Get in touch with us   Visa Professionals   and be sure of lodging the best visa application.

Updated Info

It’s a good idea to check for updated visa information with the Department of Home Affairs at